Iron PostNorth Outside of New Albin, IA 52160
Placed in 1849; 600-pound cast-iron post; marked "Minnesota" on the north, "Iowa" on the south, & "1849" & "43-30" (latitude) on the sides. For many years, the border between Iowa & Minnesota was hotly disputed. Iowans urged the government to use the Minnesota River as the dividing line, giving Iowa a good portion of what is now southern Minnesota. Minnesotans wanted to use the 42nd parallel as the border, giving them the city of Dubuque & northern Iowa. In 1849, Captain Thomas J. Lee settled the matter by establishing the border at 43 degrees & 30 minutes north latitude. To solidify his mark, Lee purchased a cast-iron monument on October 19, 1849, & had it installed on the border. The Iron Post, located near New Albin, is the only original marker remaining on the northern boundary line of the State of Iowa.