The Stone Schoolhouse was built in 1863 and cost $5,000 to build. It operated as a school until 1973 and is reportedly the oldest schoolhouse that was in continual use west of the Mississippi. Its architectural style and building materials are emblematic of the period in which it was built and the local materials available.
The building had a new roof added in the 1960s and there were some emergency repairs to the foundation in the same time period. The building now is basically abandoned with many openings to the elements and wildlife although the roof does continue to protect the structure.
The school is owned by the City of Lansing and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.